TOP 10 WAYS TECHNOLOGY HAS ADVANCED OUR LIVES
By Mariah Brown
It’s incredible to think about how far technology has come in such a short amount of time. Mobile technology, e-commerce, social media - it’s all changing the way we communicate, shop, work and gather information. Anytime I need almost anything, the first thing I reach for is my iPhone; and it’s hard to believe that only 30 years ago the firstportable computer, Osborne 1, weighed 24.5 lbs, had a 5 inch monitor and cost $1,795.00. The following are 10 ways that technology has become life changing.
10) EDUCATION: The introduction of the Internet in the mid 1990s forever changed the way we get our information. The ability to access real-time information in seconds has led us to be better educated and more informed on current events. Technology has also improved the tools that we use to educate. Professors now use Power Point presentations and interactive SMART Boards instead of chalkboards, students use audio recorders instead of taking notes and text books are quickly becoming replaced with eTexts on iPads.
9) HEALTHCARE: As one of the industries in which mobile technology is making the largest impact, mHealth is a term we will be hearing a lot more. ABC News estimates there are at least 17,000 health-related applications already available for the iPhone, Android and other smart phones. As technology continues to improve surgical procedures, develop life-saving medications and give doctors the tools to better diagnose patients, mobile healthcare technology gives everyone the opportunity to actively participate in preventive medicine and monitor their current conditions.
8) RELATIONSHIPS: The Internet, social media platforms and mobile technology allow us to be more connected to one another than ever before and maintain those connections as other things in our environments continue to change. Research by Neilsen in the State of the Media: Social Media Report - Q3 2011 stated that “at over 53 billion total minutes during May 2011, Americans spend more time on Facebook than they do on any other website.” Neilsen also stated that nearly 40 percent of social media users access social media content from their mobile phone.
7) ENVIRONMENT: According to Wikipedia, green technology is the application of environmental science and green chemistry to conserve the natural environment and resources, and to curb the negative impacts of human involvement. In addition, technology has positively impacted the environment by making everyone less dependent on paper. Newspapers and magazines are switching to online editions, many businesses are trying to go completely paperless and retail stores now offer to email your receipt instead of printing it.
6) EMERGENCIES & CRIME: From complicated rescue missions to a simple 911 call, technology is saving lives. In fact, the FCC estimates that over 70% of 911 calls are placed from cell phones. Social media is also becoming an integral part of disaster response. According to Time Magazine, “Social media was a primary source of communication following the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan on March 11. Only an hour after the earthquake, more than 1,200 tweets per minute were being sent from Tokyo.” Whether you are at the scene of a crime or in a “127 Hours” predicament, remember your smartphone can also be used as a camera, compass, flashlight, GPS tracking device and an Internet connection.
5) OUTER SPACE & SCIENCE: Robonaut (R2B), the first dexterous humanoid robot in space, powered up for the first time on the International Space Station on August 22, 2011, as reported by NASA. The creation of the humanoid robot will allow astronauts to complete dangerous operations without enduring the physical risk. In addition to robotic devices, technology has enabled the creation of space shuttles, artificial satellites and many other tools that help us learn more about our world and its solar system.
4) GPS NAVIGATION: This innovation has saved many road trips and relationships because people no longer find themselves driving around lost, arguing about whether or not to stop to ask for directions. GPS Navigation Systems even provide drivers with up-to-the-minute traffic updates, weather advisories and a recalculation tool for missed turns or to avoid accidents. According to the 2010 annual usage report byTeleNav, Walmart is the most searched destination and pizza is the top searched food item for two years in a row.
3) GOVERNMENT: The most obvious way that technology has advanced us as a country is through the United States Military. Our military is the most powerful in the world because our weapons and equipment are more technologically advanced than those of any other country. The U.S.Government is also trying to increase convenience for its citizens by offering more services online. In May 2011, President Obama stated, “With advances in technology and service delivery systems in other sectors, the public's expectations of the government have continued to rise. The government must keep pace with and even exceed those expectations.”
2) SHOPPING: According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, retail e-commerce sales for the second quarter of 2011 were $47.5 billion. Of the customers who do purchase in store, “nearly six in ten adults (58%) have done research online about the products and services they buy, and about a quarter (24%) have posted comments or reviews online,” as recorded in the 2010 Pew Internet & American Life Project Report. It is important for companies that want to increase their market share and overall revenue to have an online presence and utilize e-commerce software to offer their products and services online.
1) BUSINESS: Have you ever heard the phrase, “Work smarter, not harder” ? This is what technology is all about. Businesses today operate more efficiently and increase overall profits with the help of integrated accounting and e-commerce software. Mobile access to real-time data over a secure connection provides staff members the opportunity to work from anywhere, increasing time to prospect for new clients instead of maintaining in-house operations.
The technology industry is transforming the way we take care of ourselves, each other and the world that we live in. These innovations have greatly improved our lives so far and it is exciting to think about what is still to come.
About the Author
Mariah Brown, Business Development for Cornerstone Consulting Inc. in Tampa, FL, works with businesses to improve operations, synchronize processes and increase overall profits using integrated enterprise resource planning (ERP) software. Cornerstone Consulting Inc. also specializes in E-commerce development, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Website design, Mobile Commerce, Online & Social Media marketing, Custom Programming, Software as a Service (SaaS), Cloud Computing and Hosting services. For more information, please call
813-321-1300 and visit www.CornerstoneConsultingInc.com.